The Disqualified Round Towers of Ireland
 

Ferns (Co.Wexford) – visited 8 August 1998


The tower of the Augustinian priory founded by Dermot MacMurrough in 1160 is sometimes described as a round tower. It is at the west end of the church, part of the same structure, and is square to a little above the roof level, then changes to round. It is built of a mixture of stone and brick with a spiral stone stairway inside round a brick newel, and has narrow slit windows. The round portion may have been influenced by round towers, but it is not one itself. (B.)

Dysert_Enos.html
Home.html
Leighlinbridge.html