The Disqualified Round Towers of Ireland
 

Portrane (Co. Dublin) – visited 9 August 1998


This is one of the more successful nineteenth-century imitations. It stands in the grounds of Portrane Hospital, on a low hill to the east of the buildings, and was erected in 1844 in memory of George Evans M.P., the last of his family to occupy Portrane House. Its base circumference of 17.70m and its proportions are about right but the cap is incorrect and the arched doorway and windows are much too large. (B.)

Slane.html
Home.html
Portrane.html